International Driving – What Documents Do You Need?

International haulage routes require specific documentation be available for each border you cross, failure to carry those documents could mean you’re turned back. Creating a simple checklist of required paperwork is a great way to ensure you have everything you need to get across every international border you’ll need to cross to reach your destination.

Your passport and drivers license will obviously be two very important documents you’ll require whenever you intend to leave the UK, but a third important document you need in order to travel is a visa. If you’re driving within the EU from the UK then you’re exempt, but if you plan to leave the EU at any point you’ll need a visa organised before you try to cross the border.

If you’re planning on applying for an LGV driver then you need to inform the DVLA of any convictions regarding driving hours, driver’s records, the state of your vehicle and if you’ve ever overloaded the truck. Your UK driver’s license entitles you to drive within the EU and European Economic Area (EEA) countries, so long as you only drive within the category of vehicles your license states.

In addition to your UK driver’s license you should apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP) that acts as an interpreter between your UK driving license and the border authorities. It should be noted it cannot replace your UK license or passport. Applications can be made via the AA or RAC.

You should also be aware that you may have to pay tax on, or be restricted on, the amount of fuel you have in your vehicle. EU member states have no restriction on the amount provided it remains in the vehicle’s tank and isn’t off loaded, other countries may impose a restriction on what can be held by the vehicle duty free, more information is available through the HMRC.

While most EU member states have strict driver’s regulations stipulating drivers’ hours and tachograph use, some countries have variations on working times and even exemptions. Any country signed to the European Agreement Concerning the Work of Crews of Vehicles Engaged in International Road Transport (AETR) are subject to those rules for the entirety of their journey through that country. For information on countries outside the EU and AETR, check with local embassies.

Your tachograph should be set to UK time if you’re driving a UK truck. You may be required to produce charts and records by the roadside, so it must be in full working order. You should also carry a letter of attestation from your employer, translated in to the language of every country you’ll pass through, to cover you for any periods of leave or sickness you may have on your journey.

Finally, speaking of sick leave, ensure you leave copies of insurance and medical documents with family so you have 24/7 access to them for any out of business hour emergencies. Organise a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) that’s valid throughout EEA countries and Switzerland as it may help with reduced or even free medical care if necessary.

If you have all these things in place – you’ll be more than sorted for haulage work across the EU and further! If you want access to thousands of live UK and International transport jobs, visit today!

Image Source –
(Visited 265 times, 1 visits today)
Post a Comment

Your email is kept private. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>